Make a Commitment to #BETHERE.
During these unprecedented times suicide continues to be the 2nd leading cause of death among youth and young adults ages 10-24 in the United States.
‘The Trends in Youth Suicide in Anne Arundel County 2012-2016’ report noted that Anne Arundel County had the sixth-highest suicide rate in Maryland. Between 2012-2016 one-tenth of Anne Arundel County Residents were between ages 10-24. To learn more about suicide trends in our county you can access this report here. https://aahealth.org/trends-in-youth-suicide-in-anne-arundel-county-2012-2016/
Mental illness, in particular depression, plays a significant role in suicide. According to the National Mental Health Alliance (NAMI) 1 in 6 youth in the U.S. aged 6-17 experience a mental health disorder each year.
Warning Signs of Suicide
- Increased alcohol and drug use
- Aggressive behavior
- Withdrawal from friends, family, and community
- Dramatic mood swings
- Impulsive or reckless behavior
- Collecting and saving pills or buying a weapon
- Giving away possessions
- Tying up loose ends, like organizing personal papers or paying off debts
- Saying goodbye to friends and family
Risk Factors Associated with Suicide
- A family history of suicide
- Substance use. Intoxication. Access to firearms
- A serious or chronic medical illness
- A history of trauma or abuse
- Prolonged stress
- A recent tragedy or loss
All too often we hear dangerous assumptions. ‘Talking about it plants the seed’ Myths like these perpetuate harmful stigma. When in fact bringing awareness to this public health crisis is an important prevention strategy to decrease risk factors and increase resiliency. Suicide is preventable.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) share important prevention strategies. https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/suicide/prevention.html
For More Help Contact:
National Suicide Prevention Hotlines
SAMHSA’s Suicide Assessment Five-Step Evaluation and Triage (SAFE-T) Card
Anne Arundel County Crisis Response System CRISIS WARMLINE
Anne Arundel County Mental Health Agency